Friday, September 2, 2011

Raspberry and Aqua Card with Buttons

Squares, stripes, embroidery floss, and buttons. For this week's "anything but glitter" challenge on the Operation Write Home Stars and Stamps blog.

My card started with a piece of dark raspberry card stock. I added some pastels that looked interesting with the raspberry. But my aqua and pink seemed to need a mixed pattern to connect them, so I used my Copic markers and multiliners to draw stripes on the cream cardstock.

After I played with different shapes and sizes of layers, I decided to cut up my stripes and separate the blocks. Instead of a sentiment, hmm, maybe some buttons. Then some turquoise embroidery floss for more contrast and texture. I like the end result.

Card details:
  • The card stock is Paper Source rhubarb (dark raspberry) and pool (medium aqua buttons and narrow center layer), and PaperTrey Ink vintage cream, sweet blush (pink), and aqua mist (light aqua card base). In my scan, the pool and aqua mist look the same, but in real life, there's a nice contrast.
  • The faux buttons are punched 5/8" flowers and circles, edged with Copic BG53. The holes and threads are drawn with Copic multiliner (turquoise for the holes, cool gray for the threads.) I used a bit of C3 to shade the "holes," and BG53 and RV19 to tint the "threads."
  • The stripes are Copic multiliners (pink and aqua) and markers (BG53, BG72, RV19, RV34, and RV55.)
Created for Operation Write Home, "supporting our nation's armed forces by sending blank handmade greeting cards to write home on, as well as cards of gratitude to encourage them." (095)

1 comment:

Jan Hunnicutt said...

Very nice! Thanks for playing in our Midweek Throwdown challenge this week!