Saturday, July 10, 2010

Two Red Cards with Lists

Two cards with lists, one with a "to do" list (enjoy, smile, have fun, laugh, celebrate) and one with a "reminders list" (I love you, x's and o's, I miss you, little hearts, and You're in my heart -always). Updated October 10, 2010: Click here for a newer version that is not handwritten. Handwritten sentiments are no longer accepted for Operation Write Home cards.

Technique: For both cards, I used an old 1/4" hole punch (from my 3-ring binder days) to create the top of my little notebook page. I drew a line on the back, 1/8" from the top, with marks along it spaced 3/8" apart. That helped me to position my "half punches" consistently.

I drew the lines with Copic red and turquoise multiliners. The turquoise lines are spaced 1/2" apart. I think colored pencils would also work well for the lines. I used a Copic marker (Y13 or BG45) to highlight the words in each list. The red layer is Papertrey Ink pure poppy card stock.

For the "to do" list card (above), I used some leftover yellow seam binding for the ribbon. The flower is a Hero Arts white paper flower, colored with my Y13 Copic marker. A button (clear button colored on the back with Copic R29) and embroidery floss form the center of the flower.

For the "reminders" card (below), the ribbon is 1/2" and 1/4" twill tape, colored with BG45 Copic marker. The 1/4" twill tape is threaded through the button and around the 1/2" twill tape, then knotted on top. Unfortunately my scan is a bit out of focus, due to the button... looks like I need to learn to photograph my cards. My next learning opportunity! Added September 13, 2010: Later on, I realized the button would be much too thick for mailing, and I replaced it with a punched button shape (not shown).

I made several of each design, all for Operation Write Home, "supporting our nation's armed forces by sending blank handmade greeting cards to write home on, as well as cards of gratitude to encourage them." (006)

No comments: