Sunday, June 26, 2011

Color Block Card - Dark Colors

Inspired by Nichole Heady's color block card, but with dark colors instead of pastels. I like my color blocks on several different colors of card bases. See below for more examples. Scroll down to end of post for card details.

Like most of my cards, these were created for Operation Write Home, "supporting our nation's armed forces by sending blank handmade greeting cards to write home on, as well as cards of gratitude to encourage them." (080)



Card details:
  • Color blocks (left to right) are Paper Source (PS) fig (purple-brown), PaperTrey Ink (PTI) enchanted evening (blue), PTI ripe avocado (yellow-green), PS cobalt (very dark blue in real life), PS beet (red-violet), PTI pinefeather (green), and PTI scarlet jewel (wine red). The black mat behind the color blocks is PTI true black.
  • To make my color blocks, I adhered the 3/4" color strips to a black base instead of white. With my dark colors, I didn't want white showing at the edge of the color block strip. For more details on constructing the color block strips, see Nichole Heady's color block card.
  • I drew the black lines on my color blocks with a black 1.0 Copic multiliner.
  • Card bases are PS gravel (gray at top of post), PTI ocean tides (blue green), PTI fine linen (tan), and PS curry (gold). PTI lavender moon was also very nice, but I was aiming for more of a masculine or gender-neutral effect.
  • Sentiment and horizontal lines on card base are computer-printed with black ink. The font for the sentiment "- Thinking Of You -" is Papyrus, bold, small caps.

No comments: