Sunday, September 1, 2013

Dark Gray with White Paint, Red, and Silver

Well, this is different!  Very "not me" in style, but it was fun to make, and I like the finished card.  It will be good for a teen or tween, I think.  In real life, the silver card stock (card base and die cuts) has a very nice metallic shimmer.

Created for Donna's masking tape technique challenge in the Operation Write Home Labor Day weekend virtual card making party.   I changed it up a bit using acrylic crafter's paint instead of ink.   Thank you, Donna!  I never would have tried this without your challenge. 

Card details:
  • Card stock is Papertrey Ink (PTI) smokey shadow (dark gray), pure poppy (red), and silver shimmer.
  • Embossing folder is Sizzix chevrons
  • Dies are PTI wonderful words: hello and get to the point.
  • Paint is a white crafter's acrylic.  I spread a light coating onto my masking tape surface with a Tsukineko multi-purpose squeegee, then misted with water so it wouldn't dry too fast. 
  • Technique: I added some red to my die cuts.  I used Copic marker R29 to edge them, with some intentionally messy edges.  The shimmer card stock resists the Copic marker a bit, so when I pushed the excess color back with a colorless blender ("0"), it left a sort of patina effect. 
Created for Operation Write Home, "supporting our nation's armed forces by sending blank handmade greeting cards to write home on, as well as cards of gratitude to encourage them." (311)

No comments: