Sunday, November 4, 2012

Butterflies - Before and After - Yellow, Orange, and Brown

 Before                           and                               After

This week's featured cardmaker for Operation Write Home is Renae C.   The first of her featured cards inspired me to try something similar - three blocks of patterned paper and a large sentiment circle with images.   Thank you, Renae! 

My first attempt, the "before" card, isn't bad.  But the yellow butterfly needs more contrast, and it seems to pull my attention away from the sentiment. 

For my "after" card,  I made both butterflies orange.  Then, to echo the yellow at the top of the card, I added some yellow to the sentiment circle.  Also I added some embossed texture to the butterflies.  I think the "after" card has much better eye appeal. 

Card details:
  • Card stock is Neenah solar white (sentiment circle) and Papertrey Ink dark chocolate (card base), orange zest (butterflies), and In Bloom patterned paper in summer sunrise (bright yellow), melon berry (light orange - not so pink in real life), and orange zest.   The "before" card also includes summer sunrise card stock (large butterfly). 
  • The dies are Impression Obsession butterflies and Spellbinders (2-5/8" circle).  
  • I colored the butterfly antennae and bodies with E29 Copic marker.  On the "after" card, I added texture to the butterflies with Darice dot point embossing folder.   
  • The sentiment "Miss you." is computer printed with brown ink in Brush Script MT Italic font.  The brown and yellow circles are also computer printed. 
Created for Operation Write Home, "supporting our nation's armed forces by sending blank handmade greeting cards to write home on, as well as cards of gratitude to encourage them." (216)

No comments: