Friday, January 26, 2018

Balloons on Yellow with Teal

Since I don't make a lot of birthday cards, my first thought about the new Papertrey Ink (PTI) birthday balloons set was "I don't need that."  But after seeing the design team samples, and with the help of some friendly "enabling" on the PTI forum, I bought it all - stamps, die, and stencils - and I'm very glad I did!

The balloons look great on a birthday card (and I made a few of those, too) but also for this cheerful thank you card.  I chose a sentiment with thin string-like lines to complement the balloon design.

Card details:
  • Card stock is PTI lemon tart (yellow), mint julep (light green), aqua mist, and lilac grace (light purple).
  • Patterned paper is the gingham print from PTI tropical teal pattern pack (tone-on-tone prints - retired).
  • Die is PTI birthday balloons
  • I used a Copic 0.3 turquoise multiliner to draw the balloon strings (including the short strings across the balloon knots.)  I traced my curves from one of the PTI birthday balloons stencils.  The multiliner isn't the same color as my teal stamping, but in real life, they look good together.
  • Technique: Before I drew the strings, I laid down my die-cut balloons where I wanted them.  I used a few inches of Scotch removable tape to hold them together, then made a tiny pencil dot under the "knot" of each balloon.  I also put a dot for the bottom of each string.  Then it was easy to place my stencil and connect the dots.  Note: When I stamped my strings from the balloon set (another similar card, not shown), I used the same approach, but I also masked off the bottom section of my yellow panel.
  • The balloon patterns are stamped with PTI birthday balloons using PTI new leaf (green), tropical teal, and amethyst allure (purple) ink cubes.
  • The sentiment "thank you" is from PTI keep it simple: thank you II, stamped with PTI tropical teal ink cube.
Created for Operation: Quiet Comfort.
(826)

1 comment:

Vicki Finger said...

Love this! I love Lemon Tart - It's kind of my one concession to yellow that I actually really like. I think it's because of a cake I make that my grandson calls Lemonade Cake. I would never have imagined it with Teal but I love it.