Monday, February 20, 2012

Felt Flower with Tiny Tag

Playing with some new felt. Though I love to use bright colors, the bottom card seemed a little too bright. I'm happier with the top card, where I replaced the red with an orangey-brown color.


Card details:
  • Card stock and felt by Papertrey Ink (PTI): blueberry sky (blue card base and felt flower center), canyon clay (orangey-brown flower (felt), eyelet lace strip, and tiny heart on bottom card), pure poppy (red flower (felt), eyelet lace strip, and tiny heart on bottom card), harvest gold (yellow), simply chartreuse (deep yellow-green), and spring moss (light yellow-green tag).
  • Dies are PTI eyelet lace border and tiny tags. Embossing folder is Lifestyle Crafts diamonds and dots.
  • The tag is tied on with bright yellow embroidery floss and adhered with foam tape. It's a 2-layer tag using the solid (no heart) tag as a base. I put Scor Tape all across the base tag layer, then pressed down the heart tag on top. That left an opening with Scor Tape inside, and a solid base to adhere my tiny contrasting heart.
  • Sentiment "love" is computer-printed with green ink in "Stencil Std" font (bold).
  • Flower is punched with 1-1/4" EK Success scalloped circle. Flower center is hand cut. I will buy some dies for the future. Although I was able to punch the PTI felt, it wasn't easy. I had to punch it part way, then turn the felt a bit inside the punch, then finish punching. More force than I like to use, and probably not so good for my punch. And would only work with a symmetrical shape.
  • I sewed french knots with bright yellow embroidery floss, then pulled my thread tails to the front (4 threads at a time) and separated the threads.
Created for Operation Write Home, "supporting our nation's armed forces by sending blank handmade greeting cards to write home on, as well as cards of gratitude to encourage them." (133)

No comments: