Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Six-Square Card


After making some cards with the Papertrey Ink Take Three die, I accumulated a small pile of 1-3/8" squares with rounded corners, some in black and some in avocado green.  They looked too nice to discard, and too many to save for random future use.   

So I created a six-square layout with a variety of punched and diecut shapes in contrasting colors - bright green on the black squares (above), and bright yellow-orange on the avocado green squares (below).  A bit of embroidery floss and a simple sentiment, and I have a happy card for Operation Write Home (and I'm always happy to use up my scraps!)  Scroll down for card details, including links to my previous Take Three cards that left me with the scrap squares. 


 Card details:
  • Card stock is Papertrey Ink (PTI) true black and new leaf (bright green) for the top card, and PTI ripe avocado and summer sunrise (bright yellow-orange) for the bottom card, on Neenah classic cream card base.
  • Embroidery floss is DMC 703 (green) and 742 yellow), tied in a square knot.
  • I rounded the card's outer corners (away from the fold) with a 1/4" Corner Chomper.  It's hard to see on the cream card scan, but adds a nice touch in real life.
  • The sentiment "Thinking of you" is computer-printed with "Cooper Black" font, expanded spacing. 
  • The rounded squares are leftovers from the PTI Take Three die, which cuts a row of three windows in a frame.  For my card with black windows that made the black scrap squares, click here.  For my card with avocado green windows, click here
  • The punches and dies for the shapes are as follows:
Created for Operation Write Home, "supporting our nation's armed forces by sending blank handmade greeting cards to write home on, as well as cards of gratitude to encourage them." (156)

No comments: