Sunday, July 3, 2011

Summertime Words Card

For the 4th of July weekend, the Operation Write Home Stars and Stamps blog is hosting a blog hop with many interesting challenges. I made this card for the Summer Memories challenge, using "Subway Art," posted by Marti on her "Essence of Paper" blog. Thanks for a great technique, Marti! It was new to me.

The idea is to use many words and phrases with a common theme, printed in simple fonts (like Helvetica), in a variety of colors, weights, and sizes. I added some simple star and sun shapes. With multiple text boxes in PowerPoint, I was able to place my words across lines and mix things up nicely.

Or, as I said when showing my card to my (extremely supportive) husband, "The idea is to take some summertime words and place them..." I paused, and he finished my sentence, "on a beach towel." Yes, on a beach towel. That's what it looks like.

I used a green base layer for the card above (PaperTrey Ink new leaf) and orange for the card below (Paper Source poppy). The bright pink layer is PaperTrey Ink raspberry fizz, and the line is drawn with Uniball Signo white gel pen. My striped paper was also done with PowerPoint, using the same colors as in my words. Both words and stripes were printed on Neenah solar white card stock.

Created for Operation Write Home, "supporting our nation's armed forces by sending blank handmade greeting cards to write home on, as well as cards of gratitude to encourage them." (081)

No comments: