Friday, March 13, 2015

Purple Doilies with Green

Beautiful fresh colors in this card.  The unexpected green accents and striped pattern mix well with my more traditional doily lace, scallops, and script sentiment.  I started with the tone-on-tone purple panel, then struggled to use it.  It really came to life when I inlaid a few small green pieces. 

This card would not have happened without a new (to me at least) double-sided adhesive by Ken Oliver, stick it, that cuts very cleanly with intricate die cuts.  It needs to be burnished/ pressed down hard with a bone folder to adhere properly.  Before making a card with it, I tested a sample with some heat, cold, and damp, and after a few weeks it's still holding strong, so I feel OK to use it with my Operation Write Home cards.

My typical adhesive sheet is scor tape (aka be creative.)  It's super strong, and I'll continue to use it with most dies when I want to cut them with adhesive backing.  But it doesn't quite cut all the way with such delicate detail as the doily dies.  It works better with simpler shapes, like the hello die. 

Card details:
Created for Operation Write Home, "supporting our nation's armed forces by sending blank handmade greeting cards to write home on, as well as cards of gratitude to encourage them." (437)

No comments: