Wednesday, February 10, 2016

Leafy Sampler Square

My leafy sampler card was created for yesterday's Papertrey Ink 9th Anniversary challenge.  Here's the challenge"In honor of our 9th Anniversary, you are challenged to cut nine 1-1/2” squares from white cardstock, then alter all nine of the squares using a variety of techniques, colors, stamps, etc. Be sure to do something different to each square!  ..... adhere the nine squares to a 5-1/2” x 5-1/2” square card front ..."

So I decided to use 9 different ink techniques, all of them new to me.  I'm not a "get inky" kind of crafter.  Even the inky basics of blending, smooshing, and splattering were new experiments for me.  I was surprised at the nice results I got on my first try, which will encourage me to do more with these techniques, and my squares even look pretty good together!

I chose just a few stamps and colors to give my design some unity.  My nine different techniques were ...
Top row: Doodling on a stamped image (with white gel pen and Copic olive 0.3 multiliner), ink splattering, sponging on a stencil
Middle row: Emboss resist, ink smooshing, watercolored background with reinkers and a stencil
Bottom row: Ink blended background, multicolor stamping (reinkers dabbed onto the stamp), and shadow stamping with two colors of ink.

Card details:
  • Card stock is Papertrey Ink (PTI) mint julep and stamper's select white.
  • Twine is shore (light blue) stripe from The Twinery.
  • Stencil is by Crafter's Workshop.
  • Inks are PTI blueberry sky (medium blue), new leaf (medium green), and pinefeather (dark green).
  • Stamps are from PTI turning a new leaf.
(536)

9 comments:

nancy said...

Cindy, I just came over from the forum. With all of the discussion over there, this challenge has intrigued me. And now that I've seen your sampler, I definitely want to give the challenge a try. Keeping your colors to a minimum and the focus on the leaves, your card feels very composed, even with all of the different techniques. Great job!

Nancy Penir said...

Love this! Your card turned out to be a beautiful work of art!

Connie MacFarlane said...

This is really pretty Cindy! Love the colours and the common fern/leaf theme really ties it all together.

Joy2Scrapbook said...

This is so pretty, love how you made the background of each square unique and tied the whole sampler together with leaves. What a lovely result!

Gina said...

CINDY. This is fantastic!!!!! I love what you did and how the colors and motif tie everything together. Perfection!

Marybeth said...

Cindy this turned out wonderful! Love your design and shades of green!

Diana K said...

Wow, Cindy, it's a stunner! Love how composed and thoughtful it is. Beautiful work!

Diana K said...

I really thought I had posted a comment, but apparently I didn't. Love this, Cindy. It's a little work of art. Beautifully balanced. You did good work!

Melissa L. said...

This is lovely, Cindy.